About the Blog:

Guelph Politico is locally sourced and dedicated to covering the political and cultural scene in the City of Guelph. Est. 2008.

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Best Stepping Down as GCL President

The election year has barely got under way, so if there's a good time to bail on the presidency of a civic action group for personal reasons, it's now. Andy Best, now outgoing president of the Guelph Civic League gave me a heads up Thursday night that he was stepping down from the position. Citing his changing family and the demands of his day job, Best is taking his leave of the nearly 10-year-old organization effective immediately after, what I think, was a very positive and insightful shake-up in the look and scope of the GCL. You can read Best's farwell address for yourself below. 

Dear Guelph,
I’m writing to share the news with you that I have stepped down as President of the GCL.The reasons are pretty simple. I have a very demanding day job that I love and to which I want to devote more of my energy and focus. More importantly, my wife and I are expecting our first baby in early April. It’s vital that I have the time and mental space to devote to my growing family. 
The Town Hall project is no longer under the GCL umbrella. It will be relaunched on March 1st as the Guelph Citizen, an independent citizen media project. You can find it at guelphcitizen.ca as of the 1st. 
The GCL executive will be meeting with members in the coming weeks to determine fresh priorities for 2014. Watch for updates at guelphcivicleague.org in the weeks and months to come. You can also continue to reach the group at info@guelphcivicleague.org. 
I’d like to thank all my fellow executive members and the many passionate folks with whom I had the pleasure to connect over the past year. It’s been a great experience! 
Talk soon,
Andy Best

No comments: