About the Blog:

Guelph Politico is locally sourced and dedicated to covering the political and cultural scene in the City of Guelph. Est. 2008.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Candidate Questionnaire - Allan Boynton (Ward 1)

1) Why did you want to run for city council?

I am running for city council because I think the people are asking for a change. I am young and experienced in not only the business world, but the political world as well. I know I can be a person at city hall that is accountable, open and works for the average person, because that is who I am.

2) What do you think of the performance of the last council?

Everyone is going to have an opinion on a formal council. Do I think they could have made tougher decisions when it comes to spending and being financially more credible than what they tell us? YES. We all know that there is going to be new people there and I hope the public chooses my ideas and values. The last council will be held accountable for their decisions on the 25th of October!

3) Please describe your position/ideas on the following issues?

a) Taxes
No one likes the word taxes. However, they keep our city improvements coming and programs in tact. When I think of taxes I think of using tax dollars to the fullest potential and not wasting them. Previous budgets call for large tax increases, and when you see little or no services come from those dollars, then people get angry. I do not believe in large increases, I believe in small increases no more than 3 per cent and if you can’t do that, then you need to re-evaluate your spending habits.

b) Budget
Our Budget needs to be reviewed every month with a budget variance report so we know where we are 12 times a year. It is the only way to ensure our budget is intact. Over spending and hard decisions is always part of any budget. You can be sure that, if elected, I will be asking those questions!

c) Transit
City transit allows people to get to work, students to get to school and seniors out and about town. We have to ensure vehicles are maintained properly and environmentally-friendly resources are researched. Safe and clean buses not only represent our city but employ jobs and are a vital part to our city. City buses bring people downtown which brings money and tourism to our downtown core that is very important.

d) Development/Infrastructure
If elected to city hall, it is our obligation bang on the Provincial and Federal Government’s doors for infrastructure and grant money. It is also very important that development’s are thought through and planned to utilize infrastructure money that the city receives. It is also important that the right applications are sent for the right causes. Most grants you are only allowed to apply for one time a year, so prioritizing specific grants and funding is key to receiving money.

e) Arts & Culture
I myself am a huge supporter of Arts and Culture events. I enjoy seeing some great shows and I think public festivals and new ideas could be a great resource to generate revenue for the city in the way of tourism. One fantastic resource we have in the City of Guelph is the River Run Centre. It is state of the art and any show or event going on there I would be proud to be a part of.

4) Is there another issue that you’d specifically like to highlight/focus on?

Fiscal responsibility is the key to any good business, and our city needs to run like a business. My campaign of no more than $1,000 of my own money shows I am not into excessive spending. I also have a list of charities on my website which if you feel the need to donate to, I am sure they can use the money more than my campaign does. I am knocking on doors, meeting people and making up the difference of not having signs by the roads. I think they are a danger to those driving, not the most environmentally friendly thing in the world and an eyesore.

5) What’s your message for voters?

My message is simple. If you are looking to support someone that works like you, wants to make the city better and enjoys listening to public input than I ask for your support. I believe in being good neighbours and contributing to society and that is why I am running, because I think I can make a difference. Please be sure to contact me at electallanboynton[at]hotmail[dot]com or visit my website at www.allanboynton.com where you can find the links to follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Lastly, I ask two things. First and most important, Please get out and Vote! Every vote counts and we need a great turnout. Secondly, I ask for your support on October 25th 2010.

No comments: